3 Simple Ways to Organize Your Elder’s Medical Records
Did you know that 20% of Medicare patients have five or more chronic conditions, see 14 different physicians a year and fill 50 prescriptions annually! That’s a lot to manage, for both the patients and the healthcare professionals.
To ensure your elderly loved one is receiving the best possible care and medications are working properly, it’s critical to keep accurate medical records of all conditions, physicians, medications, etc.
While the thought of tackling piles of paperwork may seem overwhelming, it can save you a lot of time and money and prevent unnecessary health problems down the road.
Here are three simple ways to organize your elder’s medical records to help ensure accurate diagnoses and treatment:
- Caring Hearts Medical History Organizer: This simple document outlines all critical medical information, including identification, blood type, existing conditions, medications and emergency contact information.
In the event of an emergency, EMTs will have easy access to lifesaving information. The vinyl pouch features a reusable sticky back that can be applied to virtually any non-porous surface, and the sticker adheres to the front door to alert EMTs where to find the information.
To get your own, contact your local Caring Hearts office. Visit www.HomeHelpers.CC and search by ZIP or city and state. You can also call 1-800-216-4196, ext. 105, to place an order through the Caring Hearts Home Office.
- Create a medical journal: Roll up your sleeves and get crafty! All you need is a three-ring binder and some tabs. Separate into sections, including:
- Physician contact information
- Appointment calendar
- Insurance information
- Receipts and financial paperwork
For step-by-step instructions, click here.
- Go paperless by utilizing online portals: These websites offer a simple solution to organizing your loved one’s medical records. The best part is the information is accessible 24/7 online:
- My Family Health Portrait: This free tool sponsored by the Surgeon General allows you to enter and save your information so you can print and update it at your convenience.
- MyMediConnect: This secure online portal is free and convenient, allowing you to set up medication and appointment reminders and track wellness. You can also request for the website to obtain your medical records for you.
- MotherKnows: Seniors aren’t the only ones who can benefit from organized medical records. Children and young adults also see quite a few doctors in the early stages of life to receive immunizations and ensure proper growth. This website tracks all your information and presents it in easy-to-read graphs and charts. Packages range from $9.95/month per child to $249/year per child.
Not only will the new, organized you feel more confident and in control, but it could save your loved one’s life!
Making Life Easier® Your loved one is in the best hands with our team.